RSS

What Is COPD?

Once known as two separate conditions (emphysema and chronic bronchitis), COPD is a serious, disabling lung disease that makes breathing difficult.

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the fourth-leading cause of death in the United States and a significant cause of disability.
Most people are more familiar with the terms emphysema or chronic bronchitis, but COPD is the term doctors are using more today. "COPD is a term that the scientific and medical community is trying to get the public to recognize. It encompasses chronic bronchitis and emphysema. The reason we combined them is because they come from the same thing, mostly smoking, and they usually coexist," explains Norman Edelman, MD, chief medical officer for the American Lung Association in Washington, D.C.
COPD is a progressive disease, which means that it gets worse as time goes by if nothing is done to slow the course of the disease. While doctors cannot cure COPD or undo the damage to your lungs, changing your lifestyle (giving up smoking, staying physically active) and taking certain medications may help you remain active and healthy longer.
COPD: What Happens in Your Lungs
Changes in your airways and the air sacs in your lungs characterize COPD. These changes, which all reduce your ability to breathe easily, include:
  • Less elasticity of the airways, so there is less expansion to make room for the air you breathe in
  • Destruction of tissue walls between the air sacs (or alveoli) which means there is less ability to take in oxygen from air
  • Swelling of your airways due to irritation of the lining
  • Production of a greater amount of mucus, which then makes it harder to breathe
Emphysema is largely characterized by the destruction of the lung and air sac wall tissues, while chronic bronchitis results from inflamed or clogged airways. If you have a cough and a lot of mucus on most days for three months a year (at least) for two years in a row, you have chronic bronchitis. However, since both of these conditions occur together in the same person much of the time, they are now considered to be part of COPD.


The Timeline of COPD
For most people, COPD takes many years to become disabling. Unfortunately, says Dr. Edelman, many people do not talk to their doctor when they first become aware of the earliest signs and symptoms, such as shortness of breath. Many mistakenly believe this is a natural part of aging or slowing down, or they may think it doesn't matter because they are only feeling breathless during or after exercise. This is why many people don’t get diagnosed until COPD has progressed.
"We think anybody who is at risk for COPD — that is anybody who ever smoked — and anybody who is short of breath for any reason, even if they haven't smoked, should tell their doctor and ask for a test we call spirometry. It's a simple test that measures how well you breathe," he says. Depending on the results of that test, you might need further testing to find out if you have COPD or another lung disorder.
Initially you may only have COPD symptoms such as coughing or occasional shortness of breath. Periods when symptoms become worse are called acute COPD or exacerbations. As COPD progresses you may be told you have chronic COPD, which means that without medication to improve lung function you could have symptoms all the time. Even when you have chronic COPD that is under control, there may be times when you have acute COPD symptoms because of infections or something in the air that irritates your lungs and airways.
Understanding COPD can help you make choices that will prolong your active, healthy life.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I"m Mc Jery united states Pennsylvania,i smoked for 30 years, then over a dozen years ago, I thought I had come down with a very bad case of pneumonia. After my wife nagged me for a week, I finally saw the doctor. I was diagnosed with severe COPD. They were amazed that I had waited so long, years in fact, before going to a doctor over it. They gave me three years tops before it killed me. That was 13 years ago and I am still living. I don't do much, because I no longer have the ability. I can no longer walk, am always hooked up to an oxygen air line, and my body is starting to shut down. There are times that I can't remember my wife's name, even though we have been married for nearly forty years. Truth be told, there are times that I truly wish I had died years ago when I could still walk, talk, play with my grandkids, but GOD decided that it might be better for me to live a bit longer. My wife asks me, when I am having a bad day, if I want to go to the hospital. I always decline, reminding her that I do not want to die in the hospital, but to die at home with the people that I love most. Hospitals can no longer do anything good for me. Even Duke Hospital admits that they do not know why I am still living. GOD purpose will eventually be known until i found testimonies of Great Dr. Abumere in an online research and on Facebook, Like anybody would be, I was very skeptical about contacting him, but i later did email him and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, i am cured from COPD by the herbal medication I received from him. I never thought that COPD can be cured, from the bottom of my heart I’m truly grateful,i pray you have long life so you can help many more people on earth with your herbal medical support. Contact Abumere today, Email: abumereherbalcentre@gmail.com

Post a Comment